Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Another trip

I have forgotten how many times I have gone to St Louis now. This might be the sixth or the seventh, who knows. I am getting to know Greyhound and Amtrak quite well: Amtrak takes longer, but I prefer it. I cannot imagine taking Sparrow on a Greyhound because at least on the train she can run around a little bit.

Reading CDH blogs again . . . some are so heartwrenching that I sit at my desk at work and cry. What have I to be sorry of? Why should I be impatient? So much can go wrong, so much has gone right for Flynn that I feel that I do not have any right to complain, and I do not. So many things have been done for us by so many people, wonderful people at the Fetal Care InstituteHaven House, the Forest Park Hampton Inn, Ronald McDonald House, Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center, SSM St Mary's, the Peet Center at St Luke's who gave us the diagnosis,  Bonnie's OBGYN, college friends, strangers and friends both online and in person, people at information booths at Union Station . . . the list goes on and I could never come up with them all to thank them. I am not much of a man, I suppose: I have been near and at and beyond tears many times, often at the drop of a hat. Little can push my buttons more than a sudden unexpected kindness.

It has been a tremendous journey. I have said that there has been nothing wrong with it, that I would not have traded it for anything, if it was the only way I had to wait for Flynn. I say it again.

But it is another trip to St Louis, and another trip back, and then another week without my dear ones who remain behind. I just want them to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment